Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:43:43 -0400
From:      "Osterweil, Eric" <eosterweil@verisign.com>
To:        Leon =?ISO-8859-1?B?TWXfbmVy?= <l.messner@physik.tu-berlin.de>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dnssec with freebsd's resolver(3)

On 6/23/11 2:23 PM, "Leon Me=DFner" <l.messner@physik.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> This mail got only send to Matthew because of bad time of day ;)
>=20
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 10:58:00PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> On 22/06/2011 20:02, Osterweil, Eric wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> On 6/22/11 2:56 PM, "Leon Me=DFner" <l.messner@physik.tu-berlin.de> wrote=
:
>>>=20

<snip>

>>>=20
>>> I'm not sure what you mean by "DO processing," but validation requires =
>>> little more than issuing queries w/ the DO bit set (that has been the
>>> default in BIND for a while).  You need to have the root (or some other=
)
>>> trust-anchor configured, and you need to enable DNSSEC validation in yo=
ur
>>> named.conf.
>>>=20
>>> Only after that will you see the AD bit at the stub.
>>=20
>> Actually, typically with a correctly configured validating resolver, as
>> an end user issuing queries from the system's stub resolver, you'll only
>> see responses with data that is either:
>>=20
>>     -- completely unsigned
>>=20
>>     -- signed, and that validates correctly
>>=20
>> Data that doesn't validate correctly is discarded.  Better make sure
>> your DNSSEC setup is correctly maintained and updated, or your domains
>> may effectively disappear from the net.
>>=20
>> "validates correctly" is a function of how your recursive resolver is
>> configured: for instance, you will probably want to trust DLV secured
>> data until authentication paths up to the root become more prevalent in
>> all corners of the DNS.
>=20
>=20
> The only thing i want to do at the moment is serve my local zone to my
> local clients. If i do
>=20
> % dig @dns +dnssec rosa.physik-pool.tu-berlin.de
>=20
> i get
>=20
> ;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 4,
> ADDITIONAL: 3
>=20
> and also i can see the D0 bit set when looking at the tcpdump. If i now
> use the stub resolver through telnet/ssh the D0 bit does _not_ get set
> in the query. So there is no way for the recursive NS to supply AD data,
> right ?

That is correct, sorry.  If the stub doesn't request DNSSEC enabled (via th=
DO bit), then the resolver will not return the validation bit. :(

I did a little bit of googling, and found these instructions but I have not
tried any of this myself:

https://www.dnssec-tools.org/svn/dnssec-tools/trunk/htdocs/readme/README.ss=
(Look under the "Requirements" section)

There seemed to be a lot of people suggesting that opening bug reports will
prompt more attention to this.

>=20
> thanks for helping the blind.

Not at all!  :)